5 Toxic Foods To Avoid Feeding Pets

Being a pet owner comes with a lot of responsibility and this includes making sure your pets eat a healthy diet. It can be tempting to let Rover or Tabby have a few bites of what is on your plate, but this can actually hurt them. Here are 5 foods that can be toxic for your furry friends. Keep these things away from them if you want to be a re-BARK-able owner.

Avocado

If you are sitting there eating your morning avocado toast and you feel tempted to give your pet a bite, don’t. Avocado contains persin, which can cause vomiting, diarrhea and congestion of the heart. While most of this is in the pit, there are trace amounts in the fruit. Say no to Fido if you want to make sure that they stay in good health.

Chocolate

You have probably heard stories about chocolate being dangerous for pets, but did you take it seriously? The reality is that chocolate contains caffeine and theobromine, which can both cause adverse reactions, including an increase in heart rate, issues with the nervous system and possibly death. Even if your pet only had a couple of bites, you should take them to the vet right meow to make sure there are no lasting effects.

Fat Trimmings

While giving your pet lean meat is perfectly fine, you should never offer them fat trimmings. It does not matter if they are raw or cooked, this can cause some serious health issues. One of the main things you need to worry about is pancreatitis, which can be very harmful and can possibly lead to death. Before you offer your pet any meat, make sure that all excess fat is removed.

Grapes

This may seem like something that could be a sweet, healthy treat for your furry friend, but that is not the case at all. In fact, a small number of grapes can cause serious illness. As little as a handful can lead to death, so keep these away at all costs. Keep in mind that raisins are dried grapes, so they are just as toxic. 

Bones

When you give any meat to your cats or dogs, make sure that there are no bones present. You may be one of the many who believe that their sharp teeth can handle this type of thing, but you should avoid this at all costs. There is a chance that one or more of the bones may splinter and puncture their digestive tract. While bones may be fine for animals that live in the wild, this is not something that is safe for domestic pets.

These things may seem purrfectly harmless at first glance, but they can be incredibly dangerous for your furry friends. If you want them to stay safe and in the best of health, then you should make it a point not to give them any of these things. In addition, you have to keep an eye out so they don’t ingest these things on their own.

Leeann G. Convery

About Leeann G. Convery

View all posts by Leeann G. Convery →

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *